Monday, August 10, 2009

la Revancha a la Cancha


Well, we will see first hand what the Yanks are made of. Flying into Mexico City tomorrow, meeting SocLuis90 at my Hotel, then hoping to hook up with Jamesey & Gen. Buck at the Tuesday pre-game drinkathon in Zona Rosa & Condesa. To prepare I took the San Diego Trolley to Tijuana in order to get my Pesos and acclimatize. The picture I snapped shows a curio stand that actually straddles the exact line of demarcation. You walk the walk in Mexico and all is cool. Chatting up some locals I found everyone is energized by the game and predicting victory. The local paper read "Arman en EU 'ejecito' para enfrentar a Mexico," so it's all in battle terms. At the border crossing two guys were carrying enormous furled tricolors on poles 8 feet long so they are planning to represent on our side. My flag is only 3' x 5', made in China, but it will do as a battle flag. A 1-1 tie would save face for everyone, but satisfy noone. I want to see progress beyond the beachhead we've made, let it come down. A Donovan second goal to make it 2-0 please. We need a saint ourselves when the opposition is all praying and making offerings to the Virgin of Guadalupe (they have us beaten there). If not, well, back to the drawing board. This is what I love about footie, the hours before, the 'what-if' we make history, the hopes, the dreams...the result is often the opposite, but should we prevail, it will be the game of my lifetime, at the very least. One small step... one giant leap...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post from El DF if you can...

August 12, 2009 at 6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home